The position will belong to the Department of Construction and Energy Engineering which is part of the School of Business, Engineering and Natural Sciences. Within the Department, research and education within both construction and energy are conducted. There are bachelor’s degree programs in both Construction and Energy engineering and in 2019 the new master’s program “Energy Smart Innovation in the Built Environment” starts.
The research within Renewable energy systems at Halmstad University focuses on two areas: district heating and wind power, where especially the district heating research is internationally highly renowned. Outside the energy group, though within the same research environment, the University conducts energy-related research on biogas and nano materials for applications in solar cells.
The research group is part of the research environment the Rydberg Laboratory for Applied Sciences (RLAS), where cross-disciplinary research is encouraged. Also part of this environment is Material Systems (functional surfaces, nano materials, etc.) and Bio Systems (biology, environmental studies, etc.). A process is ongoing to gain entitlement to award doctoral degrees within this environment. The University has defined the new research profile area Smart Cities and Communities, where Smart Energy is one of two subareas.
We are looking for a Professor who has an interest in researching and developing the field of renewable energy systems within the RLAS research environment, to take a key role in applying for the entitlement to award doctoral degrees, and to strengthen Halmstad University’s research profile area Smart Cities by taking part in the Smart Energy research. Regarding research orientation, interesting focus areas include (cross-over and system-level research encouraged):
- District heating
- Wind power
- Bio energy
Central to the position is to actively work with applications for external research funding and to ensure research funding for the development of the field renewable energy systems, especially with the development of the future doctoral education in mind.
As Professor, you will be contributing to establishing and developing research and education. The work consists of research, research management and participation in the development and implementation of education at undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate levels. Regarding education, courses at both bachelor and master level within the field of renewable energy, can be applicable for the position. The work also includes supervising and being an examiner at all levels of education. Within the position, you will conduct research of high international quality, establish and develop national and international contacts and partnerships within academia, industry and other organizations, publish research results in international scientific journals and contribute to the development of the research environment, both in research and in postgraduate education.
You have a PhD in energy systems/electricity/physics, or equivalent. To qualify for appointment as a Professor, candidates must demonstrate both academic and teaching skills in accordance with the Swedish Higher Education Ordinance Chapter 4:3, and otherwise meet the requirements of rules and regulations for academic appointments at Halmstad University.
The overall scientific production should be extensive in high-quality research journals. Relevant pedagogical education is required (may however be completed during the first two years of employment), and experience from course development at different levels is a strong merit. Documented education in, and experience from, supervision at a doctorate level is a requirement. You need experience of and be successful in teaching, conducting research and collaborating with others. You should have a proven ability to publish internationally and to seek and receive external research funding for research, and successful collaboration with colleagues and other organizations. When evaluating candidates, great importance will be given to personal maturity and the ability to lead others.
Applying for the position
The Application Shall Consist Of
Applications should be sent via Halmstad University's recruitment system Varbi (see link on this page). The starting date is negotiable.
- A declaration of intent describing what goals and visions the applicant would strive to achieve upon employment.
- A complete list of awarded grants and scholarly publications.
- An account of the applicant’s bases for evaluation.
- Scientific/scholarly skills should be documented and include grants awarded, scientific background, scientific production, national and international research contacts, expert assignments, opponent or examination board commissions etc. Examples of documentation are theses, articles, reviews, publications (including work in progress), national and international prizes and awards, assessment of associate Professor (docent) or full Professor qualifications, certificates and credentials pertaining to scientific skills as well as doctoral and master’s theses the candidate/applicant has supervised to completion.
- Pedagogical skills should be documented and include pedagogical background, the applicant’s pedagogical ethos/approach/philosophy, how the applicant/candidate works with his/her and the students’ learning development and contributes to pedagogical development etc. Examples of documentation are grades/credentials from courses in teaching and learning in higher education and other pedagogical education and courses in supervision, evaluations, self-assessments, pedagogical prizes, course and conference programs, teaching material, certificates and assessments of pedagogical skills etc.
- Leadership and administrative skills should be well documented through certificates and/or grades. These may also be complemented with references.
- Collaboration with the surrounding community should be well documented through certificates and/or grades. These may also be complemented with references.
- A maximum of ten (10) publications.
- Individual salaries are applied at Halmstad University. The application should include salary requirements.
All enclosed copies of original documents must be attested.
We respectfully decline all direct contact with staffing and recruitment companies and recruitment advertisers.