Patent granted for
the energy catalyzer
The Italian energy catalyzer that seems to be based on an unknown nuclear reaction is now patented in Italy. The examination continues regarding protection in the rest of the world.
(Swedish version here).
The Italian Patent Office, Ufficio Italiano Brevetti e Marchi, granted a patent for the energy catalyzer on April 6, 2011, valid until April 9, 2028.
The inventor is Andrea Rossi, while his wife Maddalena Pascucci is the patent owner.
The final content of the patent is public but not directly available online (details on how to order the content can be found here).
According to Rossi ten of the original 15 claims remain (see below).
It is not clear if the patent means that the secret details of the energy catalyzer can be revealed.
“Now I have to think and, based on the effective patent protection, we can decide what to disclose,” Andrea Rossi said.
The patent office in Italy confirmed that the patent is a normal one which was granted after technical examination of the filed application.
According to other sources the examination of Italian patents, however, is more formal and less technical compared with the international patent review under the PCT procedure.
Update: Starting on 1 July 2008 and onwards (filing date), Italian patent applications are subject to an investigation of patentability (see decree here). The patent application for the energy catalyzer was filed in April 2008.
In October 2010, the international patent application under PCT received a negative initial assessment in a so-called International Search Report made by the International Searching Authority, and a negative International Preliminary Report on Patentability.
The criticisms include the problem that the patent application lacks detail in describing the technology.
The examination of the international patent application is now continuing in a regional and national phase, including assesment by the European Patent Office.
In addition, there is a parallel patent application for the US.
- - - -
READ MORE: Our complete coverage on Rossi's E-cat can be found here.
Fakta E-cat patents
* Italian patent application MI2008A000629, filed on April 9, 2008.
Italian Patent No. 1387256 granted on April 6, 2011, expiring on April 9, 2028.
* International patent application (except the U.S.) under the PCT procedure: PCT/IT2008/000532, filed on August 4, 2008.
PCT: International Search Report, October 9, 2010.
PCT: International Preliminary Report on Patentability, October 9, 2010.
* U.S. patent application US2011/0005506 A1, filed on August 4, 2009.
- - - -
Patent claims in the granted Italian patent (according to Rossi). The claims are the same as in International Preliminary Report on Patentability:
1. A method for carrying out an exothermal reaction of nickel and hydrogen, characterized in that said method comprises the steps of providing a metal tube, introducing onto said metal tube a nanometric particle nickel powder and injecting into said metal tube a hydrogen gas having a temperature much greater than 150°C and a pressure much greater than 2 bars.
2. A method according to claim 1, characterized in that said hydrogen temperature varies in a range from 150°C to 500°C.
3. A method according to claim 1, characterized in that said nickel powder is a nickel isotope powder.
4. A method according to claim 1, characterized in that said hydrogen is injected into said tube under pulsating pressure.
5. A method according to claims 1 and 2, characterized in that said hydrogen temperature is a variable temperature which varies in said range from 150°C to 500°C.
6. A method according to claim 1, characterized in that said metal tube is a copper metal tube.
7. A modular apparatus for providing a exothermal reaction by carrying out a method according to claim 1 , characterized in that said apparatus comprises a metal tube (2) including a nanometric particle nickel powder (3) and a high temperature and pressure hydrogen gas.
8. A method according to claim 1, characterized in that in said method catalyze materials are used.
9. An apparatus method according to claim 7, characterized in that in said nickel powder filled metal tube (2) is a copper tube, said copper tube further including at least a heating electrical resistance, said tube being encompassed by a jacket (7) including either water or boron or only boron, said jacket (7) being encompassed by further lead jacket (8) in turn optionally encompassed by a steel layer (9), said jackets (7, 8) being adapted to prevent radiations emitted from said copper tube (2) from exiting said copper tube (2), thereby also transforming said radiations into thermal energy.
10. An apparatus according to claim 1, characterized in that in said apparatus comprises, encompassing said nickel powder, hydrogen and electric resistance (101) containing copper tube (100) a first steel-boron armored construction (102) encompassed by a second lead armored construction (103) for protecting said copper tube (100), a hydrogen bottle connection assembly (106) and a hydrogen bottle (107), said apparatus further comprising, outside of said lead armored construction (103), a cooling water steel outer pipe assembly (105).
Lediga energi- och miljöjobb
- Två energi- och miljöspecialister till Jernkontoret
- Vi söker en processingenjör
- Regulatory Affairs Specialist
- Vindenheten söker handläggare för utveckling- och samverkansfrågor
- Vill du arbeta med analys, teknikutveckling och idrifttagning?
- Miljösamordnare som vill vara med och minska miljöbelastningen på Ringhals
- Energiproduktionsingenjör till Swedavia Energi AB, Stockholm Arlanda Airport
- Underhållsingenjör, Mekanik – Stockholm